Thursday 6 November 2014

Let Me Be A Father

I woke thinking about this today.

Let Me Be A Father
Don't shut me out, we're not the ones who'll suffer
All I want is what he deserves, not an unnecessary buffer
Our fight's not his fight, but he's paying the price anyway
I'm here and I'm willing to be day after day

I'm begging you, please just let me be a father
Give me the privilege and save us all this bother
I wanna be the one to teach him what he needs to know
But everytime I come around, you're telling me its time to go

Aren't you proud of what we created out of love?
Can we put aside our differences for our gift from above?
The world can be a dark place, we've gotta show him different
But that's gonna take you growing up so that I can be a parent

All I hear about are dead beats and father's who don't care
Yet here I am on my knees, pleading for a chance to be there
But you'd rather strip me from him because you have that power
Only so you can turn me into the statistic of the hour

I'm not asking for your time, I'm not asking for your nothing
What I'm asking is that you find the sense enough to do the right thing
He's not a pawn, he's our son, he's both our responsibility
Don't make me watch my boy growing up without me

My money won't make him the man I know you want him to be
So let go of the spite and realize, this is not about you or me
Kids are dying on the streets from a lack of guidance
Can't you see the effects on a child through a father's absence
(C) 2014 Stacey Kell
2014.11.07

No comments:

Post a Comment