Friday 11 May 2012

Regrets of an Olden Day...


My evening ended on a HOT note!  Hair ironing is no joke!  Gotcha good on that one, didn't I?  I can actually see you sheepishly trying to lug your mind outa the gutter!  Hahahaha!  

My hands are still tingling from almost two hours of being an unpaid stylist. Have you tried ironing hair?  I know that two hours could very easily give you the false impression that I had four wet and frizzy heads lined up but no.  All that hair was on ONE head.  My daughters average-sized head.  One sentence I cringe upon hearing..."Ma, can we do my hair tonight?"  I swear, behind my smiling, "Sure!"  I'm immediately considering strategically setting my hands flat down on stony gravel and asking my cousin to drive over them, BY MISTAKE, just to avoid it but like Geese always tells me, “You’re as soft as a marshmallow”, so I then think, "Shame, it IS my fault, I gave birth to that head!"  Meanwhile, she was a balder than Kojak at birth!  By her first birthday, we managed to put a little silky ribbon around the nine strands that had sprouted.  Even as I sit here now, I'm still trying to figure out where exactly that mop of hair came from.  Certainly not from me, and I've never ironed her father's hair so I can't judge.  Could be a kickback from the San people!  I'm still plotting my revenge!

While we’re on the subject of hair, and ironically this is the only thought that’s been constantly popping up in my head about way back when.  It all happened one misty midday afternoon…the clouds appeared resentful.  Okay no they didn’t, but I thought I’d make my very simple story interesting.  However, on that same token, it’s meant to be believable as well.  So here goes, I must have been about 11 years old, in the olden days as my son always says when he asks me about something done when I was his age.  We used that term as well, when we would ask our parents something about their past, or the past, and never for once did I ever imagine the term would backfire and head straight for me! 

I ran inside to quickly fetch something, my bestie from the house next door?  Her and I were building sand houses.  That was our second job.  Our first was sewing fashionable outfits for our dolls and then for pleasure we would make tamalaykie (spelling) with two bricks, a fire, a tin, and sugar!  It took us weeks to finish eating one of those!  The models looked like Barbie’s but I can’t really say if they were.  Might have been Barnies.  If you say that fast any child could be fooled!  Hint hint!  Just like the knock off sneaker line Abibas and Mike! 

Man, we built the best homes, they looked like huts but use your imagination, come-on!  Flat land, we had gardens and walls and walkways, and when I say gardens, I mean real blades of grass and flowers that we would break off from the yard.  If we had digital camera’s at that time, we could have made a living on landscaping, THEY WERE THAT PRETTY, and you know how camera’s make things bigger if you need them to be.  Just ask the zoom function!  My cousin and I just two days ago, saw an ad for what we were convinced was a 3ltr fruit juice that turned out to be so small, it could fit in the cash pocket of your jeans.  She used very bad words.  But I ran in to fetch something.  My sister was standing and blow-drying her hair and my nephew was lying in his white cot, eating his big toe or something.  So she asked me to watch him until she was finished?  The little sister that I was, I didn’t even hesitate.  I said no.  DON’T JUDGE ME, I STILL FEEL TERRIBLE, EVEN AFTER ALMOST 30YEARS!  I said no, we’re building houses and ran off again.  To this day, I would do anything to just go back to that day, go and tell my bestie, I’d be back in a little while and come and watch my nephew.  And it only really hit me about how selfish I was that day, when once I got married and then ultimately had my son and then I’d have to cook dinner many times, with him strapped to my back…I was like, payback is a b@#%h!    


That's my regret of an Olden Day...Ramble Responsibly!

7 comments:

  1. very nice and really old school lol did u forget the rollers and iron comb lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahahahaha, Donovan, those rollers came into the picture later...that was just painful, its like trying to sleep with thorns on your head, ultimately you end up sleeping on your chin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is nothing wrong with sleeping on your chin... IF it is because of or for, the right reasonsssssssssssss, heh heh heh heh heh...!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Helllllllllo there!!!!!! I'm with Geese on this one! Hair curlers, though? So NOT the right reason! heh heh heh heh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good morning from Philadelphia!

    I dunno, a woman on her chin with hair curlers in? Mmmmmmm-wait!? CAN ANYONE ELSE SEE THIS BLOG! HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA! NOT! RAMBLING1 RESPONSIBLY! HAHAHAHAHHAHAAHAHAHHA!

    ReplyDelete
  6. NO, YOU'RE NOT HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! YOU IRRESPONSIBLE RAMBLER YOU! HAHAHAHAHAHA!

    ReplyDelete
  7. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

    ReplyDelete