Wednesday 12 September 2012

Cultural Coloureds


What a beautiful day it is in Durban, today!  ^_^!  I can literally hear the birds chirping.  They could be choking?!  Poor things.  But, I'm not a birdologist so I really can't tell.  All I know is that the sun is shining and the birds are...?  Well?  Alive.  And the day just got better because my eyes happened upon the calendar and I see that we have a long weekend coming up.  Heritage Day is on the 24th.   I knew that was coming next.  “Miss Rambler?  What is Heritage Day?”  As if Google doesn’t exist.  K  But?!?  I am here to enlighten.  So...?

We, in South Africa should use this day to celebrate our culture and heritage.  BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!  A-hem!  Sorry.  I shouldn’t have laughed.  Just?  Thinking.  I guess us Coloured’s will have to choose something.  Me?  I could celebrate being Indian.  Borrow a beautiful sari and cook a nice hot curry.  Or find a desert somewhere, not borrow a sari and celebrate being a San person.  Orrr, I could learn some German or Polish and keep a count of how many times in one day I can get people to say, “O_o!  Huh??” to me. 

I’m suddenly quite confused.  As a person.  After sifting through my blood-line like that?  Part of me is asking, “Who am I?” 
The sarcastic part couldn’t resist, “Stacey.”   
The deep part of me asks once more, “Where did I come from?” 
Annnnnd the sarcastic part simply couldn’t let that one get away, “Dust!  I came from dust and to dust I shall return.” 
And then when my deep part looked as though it was assuming the throttle position, my sarcastic part tried to cover itself, “ Whaaat?  Not-not so far back?  Okay.  From Durban then.  What a boring answer.  Plus I was working my way there but then you interrupted me with big eyeballed glares.  You woulda gotten to know my parents really well.” 

Just?  I feel like there’s too much of me.  No.  Too much to me.  Uuuuurghhhh-Too much in me.  You know what?  The truth of the public holiday matter is this.  As Coloured South African’s?  We need a series of public holidays.  Heritage DayS.  Now see, if I were in charge of public holidays?  I’d give all the Coloured’s, depending on how many nationalities they’re made of.  I’d give them those amounts of days off for Heritage Day.  Uhmmm-M!  For me?  As the Public Holiday Minister, (I don’t need experience), it would be fair.  Slighhhhhtly biased.  But fair.  Like take my own blood-line for example?  I’d score like a week.  What about you?   Three days?  Five?  More than one though, right?  I’d vote for me if I were you.

Just received an email saying that we are all to dress up for work in our cultural gear on the 21st.  I was, in fact, tempted to send a response back that said, “... Just because we’re Coloured, huh?”   But I practised self-control.  The CEO might not have appreciated that.  And why?  Because I can tell you right now that every Coloured in the office shall be seen dressed no differently than we are every other day, which sucks!  I like fancy dress parties just as much as the next race.  And now look?  Out in the cold like a cultureless clan.

On a personal level?  I get nervous when people I’ve never met before, ask me about my culture.  After you admit that you're Coloured from South Africa, you start sweating.  And stuttering.  And contemplate talking Zulu.  'Cause I know what's gonna follow.  And once those words have been released, from their mouth to my resisting ears?  The first thing I wanna do, is flip the script (LOL!), “Enough about me.  Why don't you tell me about yours?”  Just so that I can steal some ideas from them.    

No comments:

Post a Comment