Tuesday 8 December 2015

You Say Tomatoes, I Say No More Chutney

Was sitting on my bed last night.  Just listening.  Listening to the raindrops thrashing against the windows between the growling anger of the dark open sky while the occasional flash of lightning peeked invasively through the slits of my bedroom blinds. 

Can you see me?  Like can you imagine me? 
Or anyone.  A woman.  A blow-up doll, Cruz?  Anybody.....listening to the raindrops thrashing against the window between the growling anger of the dark open sky while the occasional flash of lightning peeks invasively through the slits of their bedroom blinds?  'Cause if you can't then Ima have to polish up on my scene setting attempts. 

Reminded me of just how much we take things for granted.  Until we don't have them anymore.  I'll be the first to admit.  I take olives for granted on purpose.  Just like I do these love handles of mine.  It's a conscious decision that I make on a daily basis and the mere fact that I have to make it on a daily basis should tell you that, some things like others, have a possessive streak in them that no amount of "for granted taking" will get them to leave you alone!

I'm pretty sure that I'm amongst the general public who've quickly ceased to complain whenever we step outside and have to then run like the devils chasing us to our cars in the hope that maybe twelve drops would get us as opposed to oh?  IIIII dunno------maybe none, if we used the umbrella that just lays motionless in the boot of our cars because lemme tell you.....tomatoes!?!  Are almost R20 per kg these days!  Chutney has now become a luxury.  The universe has gone to ruins peeeeeoplllle!  My son is so addicted to egg chutney, he even suggested adding it to the Christmas Day menu!  Well?  Now like Coloureds' prawns and crab once a year at Christmas time feast, he might very well get his wish!

I’ve never been one to enjoy the rain.  Gimme sunshine any day.  But reality has a way of forcing you to rethink your views.  And the reality right now is that farm animals are dying and so are the crops.  So ofcourse, it will affect the prices, like it or not.    

My mum has always said, "Always make sure you have onions, potatoes and tomatoes in your kitchen.  When times are tough, at least you're able to make CHUTNEY!  Or fried chips!  Or potato curry!" 

Hmmmmmmmpf! 

Meanwhile?!?  Back at the fruit and veggie store?  They're tryna make it a compulsory fresh produce purchasing ritual to have you standing there staring dreadfully at the chalked price board above the tomatoes thinking twice about heeding the words of our mothers.  And that's not cute.  'Cause then what?  The Ten Commandments mean nothing anymore?!  It didn't say "Honour your mother and father------------sometimes!"  It didn't say, ".......when the tomato prices allow!?!"  Did it?!? 

So there we stand, torn between breaking the budget to buy freakin’ tomatoes and regarding our mother's well intended advice while the powers that be watch us vegetable-needing fools through the camera's from their secret location up in the roof giggling about, "Come check it out, she’s thinking-----Chutney or no chutney....Bwaaa-ha-ha-ha-ha?"  I dunno what's worse!  Having to actually contemplate buying three instead of fifteen!!  Or?!?  Or!  Knowing that we cannnnn grow them ourselves but we're a little too lazy for that!

Even for that though, we'd still need the rain!  So?!?  I guess we've got some serious thinking to do.  About being thankful for what we have, when it actually matters and not simply when we’re well over the doorstep of a drought!  

Y’all have a good ol’ Tuesday, everybody!  Me?  I'm about to Google some recipe's that don't include tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment