Monday 27 April 2015

Fearing the Unknown....Smart!

The good news is that since my last blog post, we haven't been tormented with any further blackouts. Thank you, Eskom. Your kindness brings light into our lives. Literally.

While we're on the subject of torment. I went to the mall yesterday and I was reminded of how much I can't stand it when people think that they're better than someone else. Especially when they have an audience. It's one thing to have fight in you. But when you can't choose your battles? When all that you have in you IS fight? For evvvvvvvverything? Then all you look like is an angry, babbling, idiot who clearly has issues beyond the fact that the parking machine is only taking coins.

Granted, arrangements should have been made other than the assistant directing you to the parking office, still? The fact that he was told to inform people that the banks are closed and the machines are faulty as far as notes, so they can't be fixed at that moment? Doesn't make him useless. His management's management style is what is questionable by not making proper provisions for people who walked up to the parking machine, with only notes. Sure, it was irritating for us all to have had to go back inside and beg the stores for change but? Wow! To then say to him, "You're just useless?" Uncalled for.

And there are too many people like this in the world. I wish, I wish that they were banished to Rant and Rave Island or something because it's nothing short of sickening to witness. It might be that I'm not a very confrontational person. Maybe that's why I feel this way. I don't come from a confrontational background and no, I'm not sorry about that. Being ready to attack anyone, for anything? Good luck with living life that way. Shit's gonna get real lonely in a hurry. That's not to say that I'm not a lot more willing to stand my ground than I once was. But, still?! I won't stand there and because I have an audience, start degrading someone because I am angry about a situation that inconveniences me in the smallest of ways.

It's not as if he even knew the security guard or his temperament. What if he chopped him in the throat? What if he fisted him for calling him, useless? I suppose thennnnnn it would have been, "Ohhhhhh my fuckin gaaaaaawd! He punched two of his teeth out! How dare he?!?" Had he retaliated to being called, useless, by a stranger who shouldn't have been confronting him that way, to begin with. The man directed him to the parking management office...

Dealing, that way? In any way, with people you don't know is a gamble and there are times when you luck out. I've had my fair share of dealing with strangers and trusting my "benefit of the doubt" instincts. Once bitten, twice shy. All I can say is that I have learnt my lesson as far as dealing with the unknown. Trusting, the unknown! And I will never! EVER! Again! Put even a lick of trust, in MY own level of comfort and knowledge, about someone whom I haven't seen or touched or smelled or anything that you can do with someone in your actual physical company.

At one time, well? Actually? Longer than that. It felt as though I was the lucky one. That I had judged correctly, but my judgement has left much to be desired. That much is crystal clear and I'm not ashamed to admit that I messed up, royally! But what's important to me right now is that I grew from the experience. I know better now. And I won't make that mistake again. Ever!

We keep preaching to kids about strangers. About the boogie-man in the car enticing them with sweets. About taking the hand of a stranger when they're lost and expecting them to help them find their way home. About online predators, etc! However, sometimes we don't take the same advice ourselves. We are, afterall, adults and as adults we're under the assumption that we're able to better sense the dangers that exist out there and that when we do sense that a situation shows itself not to be what you were under the impression than it was, that we can simply decide to walk away from it. That's not true. Not when you're in too deep.

But it's real. It's a real and smart fear to have and lemme tell you something? As much as I will sit here right now and type AND MEAN that I DO NOT WISH TO GO BACK AND CHANGE THAT ANY OF IT HAPPENED? That applies to my ENTIRE LIFE! But instead that after all is said and done, I do, from here on out prefer to live in fear of strangers than to risk my own safety. And when I talk about safety? Safety doesn't only apply to physical safety! Safety applies also to risking your emotions and spirituality, as well as psychological well-being.

That guy put his physical safety at risk, acting out his anger and letting it speak for him, without realizing that he didn't know who it was that he was lashing out at, who he was name-calling and lucky for him. Lucky for him, he didn't retaliate. Instead, that security guard was professional, even with being called, "useless."
Sent via my BlackBerry from Vodacom - let your email find you!

No comments:

Post a Comment