Tuesday 14 June 2016

We Simply Adjust

Ahhhhh!  Here we are.  You're doing….something.  And I'm munching on a packet of original liquorice all-sorts sweets on another Tuesday of yet another week.  It's as if even the weekdays are like, "Mannnnnn, I need a weekend…"  'Cause, don't you find that one day it's Monday and then Tuesday, Wednesday, Danceday just become somewhat of a blur?  I thought I was bad, shew!  Cause yall know how much I love me some Friday.  Maybe it's my will? 

Naaaaah.  Credit should be given where credit is due.  End of times, is what it is! 

LOL!  I sound like one of those people who's studied the Book of Revelations seventeen times over, huh?  Or a pensioner.  One of those who will use anything as evidence.  Get their electricity bill, open up that envelope, pat their bodies down searching for their spectacles, read the amount now due, shake their heads and mumble disgustingly about, "End of times, I telya.  End of times."

On a serious note though, I'm beginning to believe that more and more over the recent years.  All of these catastrophe's constantly unfolding around us.  Mass shootings every time we blink.  Earthquakes.  Floods.  Bodies being washed up at shore.  Jacob Zuma………….I could go on.  But for the sake of objective journalism, I won't.  And then how shocked are we anymore?  On a scale of one to ten, how shocked are we when we hear that-------let's say, a massive earthquake just happened somewhere in the world.  Note, I didn't say sad or compassionate.  I said shocked.

Three, maybe?  That's because too often now, shit that woulda been deemed out of the ordinary back in the day, are common occurrences now.  It desensitizes us.  But I guess that goes for anything that happens a little too often.  You were born, bred and live in a country that has cold and rain for ten months of the year?  You stop getting wet.  Hahahahahaha!  Lies!  Your body just becomes accustomed.  IIII dunno if your skin gets thicker or wth but you're just able to handle it better than someone who comes from a different climate.

When I was in Thailand in that roasting heat?  I saw locals with jackets and hoodies on and I would stand and point like wtf!  Hahahahaha! No, I wouldn't. Mentally, I did. You just adjust.  That's not to say that it doesn't affect you at all.  They WERE looking hot.  Not hot hot.  Hot like they could be sweating bullets under there and not even knowing it.  It just doesn't affect them as if that kind of heat happened three days a year, ya know? My Durban skin?  All over my body broke out into this heat rash because as hot as it is here?  It's still not at that level.  Ya Rambler became one with the anti-histamines.

Everything. 

You get hurt enough that the next time you do, you eventually shrug your shoulders and simply go on about your business.  As if it was what you were expecting.  Common occurrences in your own personal life, in your surroundings, in the world, they become an eventual way of life and when it's no longer a surprise, it means it was expected.  And that's the thing right there. Expecting.  Huge gasps become little ones.  That's just how it goes.  Whether we begin to build the proverbial wall around ourselves to feel safer or whether we do it to someone before they do it to us, as a defence mechanism or whether we make conscious decisions never to hurt someone else that way.  We still adjust, in some way, shape or form. 

I just really don't like the fact that the types of horrible things going on in the world today are becoming a way of life, where when the news breaks, the first response is, "OMG, how sad!" but because things like that always happen, we might discuss it in company once or twice and then life goes on.  At least from where I'm standing.         

In other news?  This week?  Wednesday will be my Friday.  Danceday is a public holiday and who honestly works on the Friday after a public holiday?  Only Nadia.  That's my cousin, by the way.  Nadia?  Readers….Readers?  Nadia! 

And with the formalities outa the way, it's time for the weather report.  The sun is tryna be deceiving.  Almost as if it's playing a game of truth or dare.  If you look out of my window right now?  You could see one of two things.  A grey monkey with aqua blue balls relaxing on the roof like they sometimes do or…….or you could see sunshine.  However, that, under no circumstances means that it's a pleasant day.  I will admit, today has been but yesterday?????  Nay.  We've had snow on the Drakensburg mountains since the weekend.  When I tell you it's been fureeeeeeeeeeezing cold?  I mean, it's been, BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!  CAPITAL LETTERS COLD!  UH-HUH, THAT COLD!  Like real Winter.  Not lie-lie Winter.  Granted, Durban doesn't get real Winter if you compare it a lot of the other parts of the world or South Africa, but it's the only Winter that we know.  Howevvver………….yesterday reminded me that I have actually gotten to experience what cold feels like in another country and that I should be grateful but no.   

So, yesterday?  I thought I was being Winter-wise, right.  I wore a long sleeve fitted t-shirt under my long sleeve shirt and jeans and socks and boots.  I knew though that forgetting my scarf would bite me in the ass.  And it did!  Ass is such a strong word when you actually mean nails. I used to own gloves.  In case you were wondering, yes, this is still the weather report.  More weather reporters should use the word ass.  In addition to the normal strong southerly wind warnings, they should at least add some, "Today, you're gonna freeze ya ass off!"  Or, "Please get back in that house and cover that ass!"  or  "What an ass backwards outfit to wear in this weather, pfffffft?!"  I found that the only thing that remedies blue fingernails is a hot shower.  Shamefully, they don't have hot showers at work or else I'd at least be able to get through the day without feeling hatred.  Relax!  Take my word for it.  It's okay to hate the cold.  Cold is not a person.  Or an animal.  Although, there are some creatures on my short list.  Scorpios, cockroaches………olives.  :-/  Unfortunately for olives?  Like Jacob Zuma, they fit into any category of disaster. 



Sent via my BlackBerry from Vodacom - let your email find you!

No comments:

Post a Comment