Wednesday 25 July 2012

Future Planning!


It's been ten years since July 2002!  Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!  Let’s just ignore the fact that a week before ten years ago, we got robbed at gunpoint at work while I hid and prayed under my desk and then the rest of my colleagues called my brother off of his just boarded plane to Port Elizabeth because they thought the robbers abducted me?  Let’s rather concentrate on the fact that ten years ago, this month, was my very first trip to the USA!  I was in absolute heaven!  Ever since I could watch TV?  It’d had been my dream to visit the States!  Woah!  My sister's ten years older than I am too!  You see that?  D’you see the connection there?  Nnnnnnnnn...thought as much ‘cause I’m struggling to see it myself.  Just figured?  Ten years ten years.  You know? 

She's still ten years older than I am, by the way.  Some things just never change!  Not like our national anthem!  Mannnnn, I just...just learnt Die Stem!  Bwaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahaha!  No, I didn't!  I’d be lying in Afrikaans if I told you I did!

The amount of Afrikaans I learnt in school was morrrrre than enough and I wasn’t trying to overcrowd the no speaka da English section of my brain so I just pretended as if the American anthem was universal!  Ay!  At least I know parts of an anthem!  But I'm sure someone did...just learn it...and when they promptly changed it to a different song and language altogether?  Those victims of wasted anthem knowledge stood up on the stands, hand on the heart, ready to sing, heard, “Nkooooooooosi...Sikel...”...looked around, and started stuttering like, “Sh-ShiT!!  W-w-where am I?”   

But not me-ee!  I was not on the stands and neither was I part and parcel of that, reading two lines, closing my eyes, throwing my head back so I don’t peep and reciting it, reading the next two lines, reciting all four, crew.  Even as I sit here, close to a tenth short of a half a century years old?  Ek weet nie die nuwe een as well!  (That’s Afrikaans... referring to the Zulu one...except for the English part)  You can tell that as soon as I didn’t need to pass an exam, I emptied the Afrikaans section of my brain, can’t you?  I needed that space for the future.  To remember the new city street names.  Do you know the new street names?  Do you think the person who changed the street names, remembers the new street names? 

I accidentally emptied more than I intended to, though.  I wanted to keep my Algebraic and Trigonometric knowledge because I was so sure that one day, it’d come in handy.  I thought!  I thought it would come in handy.  I was good at it too!  Since nobody I’ve ever come into contact with, asked me what x was if y was ten over nineteen and two thirds?  I’m leaning towards the theory that all it was?  Was a way to scare the crap outa us, thinking that life after school was going to be solving problemmmmmm after problem after problem.  I mean, it is.  But, solving x’s problems fall straight to the very bottom of the priority list when you have a boatload of your own! 

Alphabet’s need to study us so that they can see what we went through in school because of them.  And then?  It would be mutually beneficial.  If they study us, and we study them, then we can help each other out with our problems.  I really fail to see why only human’s must get into trouble with their parent’s because they can’t make sense of alphabets’ problems.  Small x should also get into trouble with capital X for not understanding how humans work.  That’s just the way I feel. 

Now that I’m done ranting?  Uh-uhhh!  I still don't know my beloved country’s anthem!  ‘Cause I’m too busy crying...over my beloved country!  Whaaaat?!  You’re judging.  Don’t judge.  Let he who knew alllllll of our country’s anthems!  Throw the first stone!  Huh?  Huh?  Thaaaaat’s it.  Retreat into the darkness of judgemental land!  I feel not a shred of shame.  Not even a thread of a shred of shame!  Not even like that one string on the side of a banana, of shame!  And why?  Because, I have a plan!  Little do you know?  I'm saving the anthem piece of my brain for when we have a Coloured government!  Loyalty is a virtue!  Whether common or not.  Plus I know allllllll the words to “I love to truck” so I’m quite well-prepared, thank you very much!         

No comments:

Post a Comment