Tuesday 17 July 2012

Limited Goodness...O_O!


Sooooooh?  What have you decided to do for sixty seven minutes on International Mandela Day tomorrow?  In case you haven’t heard yet, you’re supposed to do something nice and kind and good for someone else.  Mr. Mandela will turn 94 years old tomorrow and his gift will be world peace.  For sixty seven minutes of one day.  Wow!

What happens before and after your chosen sixty seven minutes?  Hey!  I’m shrugging my shoulders because for me?  It makes no sense.  Look?  I really like the concept and I don’t mean to be pessimistic about the gesture of goodwill.  But I don’t like the limitation.  It means that it’s okay to wake up tomorrow.  Go buck wild!  Your alarm then sounds, telling you, “WAIT!  It’s time for the sixty seven minutes of goodness!”  Be good.  Good.  Good.  Good.  And when the clock strikes sixty seven minutes later?  Things revert back to…As.  You.  Were!  Reminds me of that game, K  I  N  G spells kinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng!  STOP!  

What if you’re helping your neighbour mow his lawn?  Not that neighbour silly!  The other one.  No-no!  I didn’t suck that outa my thumb.  It was one of the suggestions they made on the website I just came across.  “How to do your bit for Mandela Day…” 

What are you going to do if you’re not finished yet and the sixty eighth minute suddenly shows up?  

“Ohhhkie-dokes, Mr. Brown!  That was all that the time allowed for!!  See ya!”  And promptly march off with a third of the yard still looking like the amazon jungle?  Leaving poor Mr. Brown speechless and angrily chewing his gums thinking, “Why didn’t Mandela fight longer for peace and freedom?  At least another thirteen years!  Thirteen more minutes was all he would have needed to finish the yard!  DRAT!!!”  

Ay, purse those lips all you want but you know that some people are technical like that?  And still defensive about it, “Haai!  Haai!  Haai!  They said sixty seven minutes!  If we were meant to be nice for longer, they would have said that!  Sixty seven minutes for sixty seven years.  Equal is equal.  I’m finished being good now.  I did my bit!” 

Why not just say, “Do a good deed for somebody on Mandela Day!”  No time limit.  Thus, leaving Mr. Brown allllll warm and fuzzy, instead!  What did poor ol’ Mr. Brown ever do to deserve that time limit and a half-cleaned yard?  He’s always been a good neighbour.  I think.  Mr. Brown?  If you’re reading this right now and tomorrow you’re offered a free mowing of your lawn.  As if you were refusing a bag of snuff?  Just say no.  Your gums would thank you for it.  There see...I've started with my good deeds already and it's not even Wednesday yet.  

I say, forget about the minute factor and just go for it tomorrow.  Just spread the love and kindness all day.  You don’t even have to be specific.  You don't have to make list.  No, I’m gonna wash an old lady’s clothes today.  Or I'm gonna hand a stranger a chocolate today.  Or I'm gonna cut Mr. Black’s grass because I offered to cut Mr. Browns' but he threw a brick at me and mumbled something about snuff….just.  Be nice.  Be random.  And be responsible.     

No comments:

Post a Comment