Thursday 31 May 2012

Then and Now…Biologically Speaking


Good luck on today's Biology paper, Paige!  I'm already proud of the effort from both you and teacher Warren!  Sadly, I failed at my attempt to help.  Cannot even begin to explain her biology material that I tried to familiarise myself with.  I really cannot begin...or end!  All I know is that I was reduced to tears somewhere in the middle.  Sobs of horror!  I sobbed in horror!  That's the only way I can describe it.  I'd rather have dinner with Freddy Kruger on a Friday than be in school now to face THAT biology!  Lindsie said that Paige sent her a message before she left for school this morning, saying…”As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death.”  ‘Nuf said!  I mean, they didn't even have the decency to put it in English!  I don't speak Chinese.  Our Biology?  Was in English.  And I am fully aware of the changing of times and of the fact that I finished high school…….GULP!  Twenty....2 years ago? 

Goddd, 365 and a quarter times 22…………….O_O…………………I need a minute.  To calm down while I am groped into the realization of just how old I really am.  This is what happens when you celebrate your 25th birthday so many times, about nine times and then just simply stop counting.  All it takes is a moment of reflection about the difference between then Biology and now Whatever THAT’S called.  Myself is looking at me all confused right now, with that “ Woah!!!  So, you mean I'm not 34?!!!” expression.  I’m trying not to make eye contact.  My deception has caught up to myself who is continuing to rant like…”How did this happen?  I thought we had more time!  How could it be?  That the curtain is closing on me!?  CrAp!  Thought we were having a moment but it’s just Eminem….being shady...under a slim tree. 

What is it though about the fear of getting old?  Especially for women?  You very seldom hear about men lying about their age.  Unless they’re trying to do something they have no business doing.  Us?  We lie for totally different reasons.  We don’t ever up our age like men will sometimes do.  And at that point, they’re not even fully grown men, they’re in the middle of acting like men but thinking like boys.  For a woman, I don’t think the fear of ageing has much to do with a hindsight view of what you have achieved versus what you set out to achieve.  I believe, very strongly, that it has everything to do with wondering which unfortunate day we will awake to find our kneecaps sagging.   We’re so against ageing that we’ve made it as close to illegal as we could get it, for a man to even ask us how old we are!  Where the first thing they do if they have the audacity to commit such a heinous crime, is apologize in some sort of way first, then ask…then duck!

Been thinking a lot as I walk a step closer into my 40th year of life about the fact that there are many things I would have done differently, if given the chance.  BUT?!  I want to be exactly where I am, today.  It may seem as though that makes no sense, but to me it makes all the sense in the world because right now, this day, this minute, this second?  I have someone beside me who keeps pushing me and keeps picking me up to make sure that when I look back on my life, I would only see truth in the saying…”You’re never too old to…”   There was a time when I wanted to be a mechanic.  It was that whole BMX bike era.  I savored my greasy chain slipping off, or my tyre being punctured because it would give me a chance to turn my bike upside down and be the mechanic I was aspiring to be.  In my mind.  Still today, even if it doesn’t involve grease?  And Paige put me off that movie totally.  I regret the day I ever introduced her to Danny and Sandy.  But, I love putting things together, fixing things and getting all dirty in the process.  Which is ironic because I wasn’t able to do that with my own life until a mechanic found my chain broken and turned me upside down and fixed me without caring how greasy a job that was. 

The sight of parts of wood, a screwdriver and packet of screws?  It excites the living daylights out of me.  I remember how special my BMX was too, it came with a radio.  So I would ride it around with its radio attached and wouldn’t care that I would get more ggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg than actual radio coverage.  What mattered was, was that I had a special BMX.  Sandpaper it.  Respray it.  Those were the days that I wish Paige had a chance to experience, not so much Damon, because he is experiencing that for the most part.  The age of technology has stolen many potential cherished memories from our kids, which is sad and to a huge extent, our fault, because we had the best of times playing barefoot.  Playing games like stocking, harbor in the air, harbor on the ground, three tins, rollerskating, biking, breakdancing…doing the worm on the concrete with newly formed breasts, Claudine directing an entire concert with us and then getting all our parents on chairs outside while we performed proudly for them, Christmas Caroling in every home in our neighbourhood in the rain and white dresses and then going to the beach with the money we’d raised, my favourite games; kenecky and hopscotch, K.I.N.G spells King…STOP, kicking a piece of the top of my big toe off in the same spot almost every month, run inside when the video for We Are The World came on TV and then run back out hoping that it’s not soon that my friend would tell me, “Stacey, you called!”  Three most hated words.  By then, both me and my radio would be very much in tune on our way home “gggggggggggggggggggggggg!”  Good times. 

I don’t know how Chinese Biology just did that…

No comments:

Post a Comment