Tuesday 19 June 2012

Millennium Moments


Well?  I've pondered, just like I said I would!  And came up with the fact that we’re just about pass the first half of the year!  2012!  That's a fact!  Time seems to be breathing down my neck.  I really don’t know why.  Not like I’m turning forty in four months!  It’s like, ponder?  Time.  Ponder?  Time.  Time to ponder?  I ponder time!  About time my mind pondered something else more exciting.  I’m going to have to have a word with my mind.  And I’ll be firm about it too.  

Do you remember how farrrrrr away the year 2000 felt when we were growing up?  Not only that, I think it was thee most commonly used, sarcastic answer too!  Someone ask you something and you would purse your lips and say, "Mmmmm, yeah, maybe in the year 2000!”  And then when the end of 1999 rolled around?  I was 27 years old and all the warnings were flying around about “take your money out the bank” and shit?!?  Did any one of you fall for that?  Did you run to your bank, withdraw all of your cash and keep it in a plastic bag under your mattress or in your bra or something until the coast was clear?  I have one word for you.  It begins with a “Foo” and ends with a "l".  That was a tad harsh, I know, but true nevertheless!  You know the saying.  “The truth is never a lie.”  I just made that up, so no, I'm sure you didn't know the saying!  And if you were nodding?  Then you were lying.  And that's the truth!  I’ve been a fool many a times.  Nothing to feel shameful about.  Foolish moments are had by alllllllllll at some point in their lives.  Even ants, when they stroll around in front of humans as if they can.  Sure, they can, but they act like they can get away with it!  Pfffffft! When I went downstairs yesterday, I was watching an ant trying to pick up a half a peanut.  It was struggling and had no support whatsoever.  It's buddy's were milling around and not lifting a finger!  Tempted as I was to end its misery, I left it to overcome the challenge and thought, "If this is one of their little Ant Survivor episode's, then all I'm gonna be doing is taking out mayyyyybe one of the stronger contestants.  Rather I let them get to the voting part, 'cause everyone needs a fair chance at walking off as the winner!  If I was a Survivor contestant, I wouldn't want a dinosaur coming and trampling on me while I'm struggling to carry a log!"  So I walked off, the bigger person for not trampling an ant hugging a half a peanut!

I was disappointed though.  Our millennium celebration was nothing to document in the book of amazing millennium celebrations.  I bet you there’s a book!  But, I did have a yearning.  I was in an Empire State of Mind.  My heart fluttered at the thought of flying away to a city of bright lights…that inspire you.  I longed to be made to feel brand new by streets.  Be enveloped in a concrete jungle where dreams are made…oh.  My soul yearned to be squashed like a Sardine in the middle of Times Square.  They looked as though they had a celebration worth being included in the book!  They always do!  Celebratory bastardsE-v-e-r-y-s-i-n-g-l-e New Years Eve, it’s the same!  Watch tv.  People in Times Square having the best time

But I blame the stars and planets too!  They were supposed to be doing something magnificent, other than just…sitting there!  Bored and boring!  At least we didn't just sit.  We could have because we all had lounge suites! But we chose to walk around.  It’s a choice!  You sit.  Or you walk!  On the Eve of the Millennium!  Even if it was just to Aunty Di’s house and back…to sit on her lounge suite a little bit and marvel at the fact that we're alive and the year 2000 looked exactly the same as December 31st, 1999!  Each one of us, at some point, were gripped by the fear of, “Will our money still be in the bank in the morning?”  At least, we were one up on the outer space community!  They didn't even look like they were marvelling!  That's just not on!  You mean to tell me that all of ET's lineage couldn't think up a way of making us look up and point in awe at the little bright lights in the sky, in the form of 2000?  You mean, their fingers can light up and they couldn’t use it to our eyes’ advantage?  The stars could have done that too, but they didn't care.  They might have discussed it and the head star was like, "Our jobs are to shine and twinkle!  That's it!  There will be no formations and extra shimmering.  You know the budget doesn’t allow for that?!?!?  As.  You.  Were!"  So the junior stars sighed and slouched their shoulders and just went back to hanging around each other!  Twinkle, twinkle.  Talk about not going the extra mile?!?  Tsk, tsk, tsk!    

What were you doing as one 1999 turned into 2000?  I need some ideas for when 2999 turns into 3000.  No way am I spending it walking to my aunts’ house!    

No comments:

Post a Comment